Saturday, February 20, 2010

Wash Day

Remember the nursery rhyme this is the way we wash our clothes all on Monday morning. There was a task for each day of the week. All my task fall on Saturday or Sunday which ever one I have off. Today is baking, cooking for the week and washing.

As I was washing some dish towels in the sink I thought of Grandma. Yes the sink, a load of laundry cost $1.50 to wash and $1.50 to dry, so to conserve I wash things in the sink. Granted I bought lobster tails for Valentines day, so I am not always frugal. You have your properties I have mine.

Grandma is the person who taught me to be tight with my pennies and nickels. She also taught me how to wash clothes the old fashioned way. On laundry day a number 10 tub was filled with hot soapy water. The clothes were sloshed up an down with a stick. Very tiring to ten year old arms. Then they were put through a roller to squeeze out the dirty water. Next they were plunged into a clean tub filled with warm water. After more stirring the rinsed clothes were again put through the roller and into cool sparkling well water,
the final rinse. One last time tired arms turned the wooden handle of the old fashioned machine and out rolled fresh clothes. These were hung on the line to let the sun and flower scented air dry and complete the process. A busy long day over, dinner was leftover cornbread soaked in warm milk delivered by our neighbor from his evening milking. Nothing every tasted better. As some say hunger is the best sauce.

1 comment:

Keetha Broyles said...

Not only do I remember that nursery rhyme song, I remember when EVERY WOMAN IN AMERICA did he wash on Monday!!! My paternal grandmother not only followed these "week day" task assignments, but she had a set "meal" to accompany each task. I believe her Monday dinner was ham and beans 'cause they could be slow cooking all day while she washed.