Saturday, June 13, 2009

Roughing It to Luxury


I sit here at a cherry wood desk, mug of herb tea in hand, typing on my computer. The bed I just crawled out of has 400 thread count sheets and the frig offers three choices; water, crushed or cubes. There are two 32" televisions, one in bedroom and one in living room. I can choose my own programs and not listen to sports noise, the choice of the man of the house.

This sure beats the bed of leaves I slept in on previous nites. Not to mention the hot shower I had this morning required no quarters pumped into slots. A hot breakfast of bacon, eggs, and hashed browns did not include smoke stinging eyes and no scrubbing of pans with cold water from a mountain stream.

How did we come by such luxury? I used to have a good job that required travel and I racked up reward points. Yesterday,the man of the house insisted he had to see game seven of the NHL. I called my rewards programs till I found a free night.

Don't get me wrong. I love camping. It is wonderful to wake up to birds singing, blue skies and a beautiful sun dawning to greet a new day. I take great pleasure in sitting in the outdoors and sipping tea or hot chocolate, and nothing beats the smell of bacon and pine trees mingling. Boss loves being able to run around and chase or look for creatures. Time takes on new meaning as you sit and just watch nature happen. Living in the outdoors you get away from the bombardment of mayhem we call news. These are the joys of camping.

It's a good thing I feel this way because it's back to camping tonight.

1 comment:

Keetha Broyles said...

So, what I want to know is this: Did you bring hubs to the resort spa hotel WITH you, or did you leave him in the woods with the campfire smoke in his eyes?????

I mean, they were YOUR free hotel points.

:-)