Thursday, March 12, 2009

A New Beginning

For years I have scribbled on scraps of paper, in notebooks and sometimes on whatever was available . What did I scribble? Whatever had caught my attention at the moment. At times I felt lost and lonely and I scribbled out my pain. Other times I was outraged at a news story or letter to the editor and spewed forth my disgust and anger. On occasion I was inspired by the beauty of nature and out came a poem. The tragedy of a real life love triangle led to some Western fiction. Childhood memories stirred creative nonfiction essays. I wrote but never shared.

Then recently I joined a group of people who write. The goal of the group is to provide support and inspiration to each other and foster our budding writing ambitions. This group is what has given me the courage to write this blog. Something I have considered for several years.

I chose Potpourri as the name for my blog because I think that best defines what I hope to produce. Potpourri is a Fench word defined as a mixture of many different thing. It is a cooking term, and a concept of combining a fragrant, eye-appealing blend of flowers, spices and herbs.

This ties in with some of my other interests. Tossing compost is one of my talents as I have been an organic gardener for many years. I am the family Martha creating celebration dinners that rival the spreads at the big local hotel. There is only one in town. My notebooks abound with herbal concoctions and remedies. Baking, cooking, gardening and crafts are all a part of my life.

So here is the plunge. Sink or swim ,I'm going for it. Please join me as we take this journey, a mixture of many different things, whatever catches my attention at the moment. I hope you will share your thoughts and ideas with me. I look forward to hearing from you.

No comments: