Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Downsizing



We are downsizing that really means we are selling a lot of junk we didn't really need in the first place but bought because we had the funds to do so. I also was always taking up new hobbies. The sewing machine in my hall closet was used once. My sister made cushions on it to decorate my old couch in time for my mothers seventieth birthday party. Eight years later the only thing it has done is collect dust.

We have consumed and consumed. My house is fat with the material things I thought were needed or wanted. Why did I think it necessary to own eleven milk glass vases? These are what is leftover after having three yard sales and giving some away.

I found five sets of measuring cups the problem is the 1/2 c is missing every time. I guess that is why I kept buying new sets. Paper plates are piled high on a shelf. After all you had to have the red, white and blue ones for Fourth of July, the yellow ones for Easter, The holly ones for Christmas, and that birthday party you couldn't very well use a mix since the guest of honor wanted a purple theme.

I have enough books to open my own library. There are the college text which cost so much money you can't throw them away even though you will never open them. The dogeared childhood classics have to stay because grandma, aunt or someone took a lot of time to choose them for me. The 200 cookbooks have to stay, I may want to make my original stuffed cabbage or a new recipe for Indonesian Peanut Fritters.

The shampoo bottles from hotels are spilling out of my bathroom cupboard. The garden seeds are sprouting in the flower pots sitting around the yard. Maybe they will be something good. Heaven knows what they are.

The tools belong to the man of the house he takes the car to be serviced at a local garage but still insist he needs three toolboxes of sockets. I guess since I own four sets of china I shouldn't complain.

This downsizing is going to be harder than I though.

5 comments:

Monica the Garden Faerie said...

Although I have been frugal my whole life, and have never been a big shopper, even I managed to collect more than I need. Downsizing is hard at first but you'll feel physically and emotionally lightened afterwards, trust me. Lots of people collect milk glass, so I'm sure you'll get a good price for it, esp. if you use craigslist (no seller fees). I like this sentence in your bio, which is also where I'm at: "I have decided to quit trying to make a living and start living."

Anonymous said...

It is very surprising when you see all that you have accumulated..We moved 5 years ago after 25 years in the same house...Wow..that was something....

moosh said...

Monica as i cruise the blog world I find a lot of people starting to live and following their passion.

MyMaracas said...

I hear ya. All of us in my family are world-class packrats. I just can't part with stuff, and just can't resist adding to the heap. Congrats on making a start!

JuneMoonToon said...

I so need to do the same thing. Wish me luck and I'll do the same for you!